Monday, November 2, 2009

My passing encounter with Charlie

I know that a lot of people mind this end to Daylight Savings Time. I’m not one of them. I enjoy driving to work in the morning sunshine. But I especially enjoy coming home in the dark. I love the cold air as I leave work, the stars coming out (Or the sun setting if I’m so lucky!), the streetlights shining my way home. I especially love the warm glow of the light in the windows. I love to catch a glimpse of a family. (not a peeping tom, just a passing glimpse as I drive by). Of course, my favorite home to view is my own, looking inviting as ever to me, the warmth waiting for me.

Yeah, I love that.

~~

Today after work, I stopped at the grocery store on the way home. The lights there just remind me that I need to open my wallet, but that is not part of this story.

As I left my car, I noticed a man putting flyers under the windshield wipers of all of the cars. I immediately got kind of pissy to myself. You know, snobby about it, judgemental, thinking perhaps he is promoting some new weirdo church that worships a holy goat or something. He was very friendly as I walked past him, furthering my notion that he IS the minister to the goat. He was, in fact a good looking middle aged man but I did not give it another thought as I rushed past him into the store.

My bag full of my purchases, I noticed the flyer under my windshield wiper. I was suprised to see the heading: HANDYMAN. Hmm. I guess Mr. Handsome was not His Holy Goatness. He was a regular guy trying to work in a tough economy. His list was quite extensive. He is a licensed air conditioning and oil and gas technician. He could do emergency heat calls, furnace repairs, he would cut your lawn, clean up your yard, trim your trees, landscape your property, clean your gutters, seal your driveway, do general household repairs, painting and odd jobs. He would even plow your snow. All for the asking.

I climbed in my car, reading that flyer, feeling a bit bad for my judgement call, feeling a WHOLE lot lucky for my job and paycheck.

Well, if you live in my area and are interested in a kind of cute handyman that is a self motivator, call Charlie at 978 290 3613. Tell him you got his number from a friend who shops at Shaw’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment