Sunday, September 13, 2009

By the numbers

So when you test children in any kind of standardized fashion you’re supposed to “actively monitor” to make sure they’re not cheating or sleeping or bubbling in answer in the wrong section (there’s always that kid). Because I don’t want to lie or get fired, we won’t discuss how active my monitoring is.

Regardless of my commitment to active monitoring, sometimes when I get bored I count stuff. I can sit in a coffee shop and tell you how many wedding rings there are. Or how many people are chewing their pens. Or how many times that boy sitting across from me takes adorable little side glances at the girl sitting next to him. I know. My skills are endless.

Here’s some stuff I counted this week:

13 number of students in my homeroom who are on bench (our dicipline system) 8 number of bench students chewing/sucking on their bench tags. Must buy Lysol. 16 number of girls who pull their hair back. 4 number of girls who twirl their hair while testing. 8 number of boys wearing sweet slip on skater boys shoes. 2 number of boys who commented on my days of the week shoes. 4 number of times I had to wake Carlos up during testing. 8 number of students who were picking their noses while testing. 3 number of students who then ate what they found. Um, GROSS. 3 number of bathroom breaks I required during testing. 1 number of bathroom breaks I was alloted. 46 number of bathroom breaks my students took. Doesn’t seem right does it? 2 number of times I sincerely wished I had brought a nail file. My nails are a hot mess right now. 14 number of extra pencils handed out due to breakage. I’m not sure they understood they didn’t have to drill the pencil through the scantron. 6 number of times Allison asked a totally pointless question solely for the purpose of getting out of her seat. 8 number of handfuls of peanuts I stole from the science teacher whose room we were testing in. Thanks Mr. Warner. 2 number of pens I may have also, inadvertently, walked off with. 39 number of times I daydreamed about grad school and/or Africa. 6 number of times I reminded myself to pay my credit card bill. 0 number of times I remembered my aforementioned reminders when I got home. 29 number of kids who finished their tests SIGNIFICANTLY before the last kid to finish. 162 number of days until our next standardized test. Praise Jesus.

[Via http://thisthattheotherthing.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment