Wednesday, September 23, 2009

One-Minute Anecdotes #3: My Corrugated Plastic Hell

This week I will be trying something a little different. Each day, Monday through Friday, I will be posting an anecdote that I was unable to expand into 700 or more words but I feel is funny in it’s own right. Each one will likely take you a minute or less to read. Hence the name. I know, it’s clever, right?

Your minute starts now.



My Corrugated Plastic Hell

Driving home from work one day I found myself behind an old pickup truck. Every five hundred feet or so, the truck would stop, the driver would turn on the emergency blinkers, climb out of the driver’s seat with a plastic sign in hand, leisurely make his way to the opposite side of the car and then drive the sign into the ground near the sidewalk. After completing his mission he would make the long walk back to the driver’s side, climb back into the cab and continue on his way. Since this was all taking place during the heart of rush hour, there was no way I was going to be able to casually cruise around him and make it home in a timely fashion.

After his third stop, I started paying attention to the signs he was dropping. It was one of those white corrugated plastic signs that people post up at busy intersections to advertise some sort of goods or service. The sign read “El Cheap-O Computer Repair… we’ll fix your computer for Cheap…. O!” It was all very clever. Clearly there was a lot of time and effort put into creating such a spectacular catch phrase. I also noticed that there was a phone number at the bottom of the sign. On the driver’s fourth stop, I was starting to lose it. In a moment blind frustration I pulled out my cell phone and dialed the number listed on the sign. While sauntering back to the driver’s seat, I saw the man pull out a phone and answer it. A voice in my ear greeted me with “El Cheap-O computer repair, this is Jose.” To which I responded, “Hi Jose…. DRIVE!”

Become a fan of The Random Gambit on Facebook or share this column!

Also in this Series:

One-Minute Anecdote #1: Haiku Poetry

One-Minute Anecdote #3: Awkward House Shopping

No comments:

Post a Comment