Monday, September 28, 2009

A Seattle Boy Ponders L.A.



It’s alright here, there are worse places and yup, there are much better.

We have been house sitting in North Hollywood for two weeks, in a few hours we fill the car and cruise back to San Francisco, the to Ashland, then back to Seattle.

There are many obvious and subtle differences between Seattle and L.A.

In Seattle people know how to drive, in L.A. people skirt death with no blinker drifting into your lane.

In Seattle we have traffic, in L.A. there is a “the meteor is going to hit in three hours get out of the city” 6 lane congestion at nearly all hours of the day.

In Seattle a coffee-holic like myself can trip and fall and land in a indie coffee shop or one of the big chains. In L.A. they have Starbucks, but I have to walk 20 minutes down the dirty concrete to get there. One girl actually thought Starbucks was an “L.A. thing”… no, smog and early 90’s gangster rap is an L.A. thing.

When I wake up in L.A. it is sunny and blue, a predictable phenomenon. In Seattle it could be sunny and blue with a light showers, chance of thunderstorm. You may change your clothes 3 times to adjust to the weather. It’s funny, my Seattle people put down L.A.’s ubiquitous sunshine like it is the botox of weather patterns…when I say how great the weather is they are like, “yeah, if you are into that…”

L.A. is loud; airplanes take off every 5 minutes, fast and furious wannabees race down narrow streets, police helicopters search high and low. Seattle is not loud.

In L.A. people look at me for a brief moment to decide if I am “somebody”, especially in Santa Monica and at high profile events. In Seattle no one looks at me.

I look forward to getting back to my kitty, my loft, my extended wardrobe and my roommate, Paul. For the next month or so Bridget and I will be formulating our official move to L.A. strategy; deciding what comes what goes and scouring craigslist.

We used to consult priests and psychics, now we search craigslist.

No comments:

Post a Comment