Monday, September 21, 2009

Lost is good art

Lost again: What is creative about being lost?

For me, a whole lot! The thing about mosaics for me is that RANDOM is the big motivator. Mixing colored pieces of glass together and seeing what happens makes the mosaic. The moment of this unplanned, lovely present is part of what makes me get lost in creating art. What is art? To me it’s anytime I can get lost and forget time.

Like a Spiral.

Sherri Loomis

So making money from forgetting about time is rather a leap for me. I prefer to think that barter is a higher form of exchange. Creativity is cooking, eating, spacing out, meditating, listening to crickets, car traffic, looking down where you are walking, seeing lines and shapes, (fill in your blank). A lot of things everyone does falls into a creative category. Zen and the art of dishwashing.  IMHO money has very little to do with anything fun about art. It doesn’t get me lost enough.

So how can I “sell” art? At what cost soul? The art is a moment, now in the past. Maybe these memory fragments help others see the joy in that moment. Some of them remind me of a moment I had, and maybe a new moment starts down a new pathway, a new branching off of some feeling.

My mosaics are also about imperfection, mistakes, and the joy of being the flawed person that I am who doesn’t like to be the big ego artist that has all the answers. I love the idea of not having the answers. Glue is a bad way to build certain structures, but I love the idea of fragile, semi-permanent things captured in a frozen moment. Feeling these mistakes and the missing moments create a syncopated look into all kinds of fun and blurry images.

Throw-away moments are art. Gone leaving traces of paths left by glue and glass.

Spirals are a great way to enjoy being lost

No comments:

Post a Comment